For the Lord takes delight in his people;
he crowns the humble with victory.Psalm 149:4 NIV
Did you know that God delights in you?
When your Creator looks on you he feels delighted.
For the Lord your God is living among you.Zephaniah 3:17 NLT
He is a mighty savior.
He will take delight in you with gladness.
With his love, he will calm all your fears.
He will rejoice over you with joyful songs.
Do you have any childhood memories of being delighted in? Of an adult who was genuinely excited to see you? To hear all your words?
If not, make time to lean into God’s delight in you. It’s part of His perfect love for you. He is genuinely excited when you come to Him. He wants to hear all your words. You are never a nuisance or a bother or a pain to Him!
He takes no pleasure in the strength of a horse
or in human might.
No, the Lord’s delight is in those who fear him,
those who put their hope in his unfailing love.Psalm 147:10-11 NLT
Our children need to be delighted in. They need that experience of God’s delight in them through their experience with us. Our delight builds a foundation of truth for them: They are seen, known, enjoyed, and loved. They have goodness to offer to others. They can trust that their emotional, spiritual, and physical needs will be met.
He led me to a place of safety;
he rescued me because he delights in me.Psalm 18:19 NLT
Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Tell your child you missed them when you pick them up from school, daycare, Grandparent’s house
- Listen to their stories and ask questions about the details
- Study your children to know how they show love and receive love, so you can show them love in the way they best receive it
- Look into their eyes and smile at them
- Laugh with them at silly words and sounds
- Point out good things about them by saying “I’ve noticed that you….(examples: are very generous, value truth, stand up for your friends)”
- Tell them you are so happy that God made you their Mommy!
Help your kids connect to God and feel His love by making a moment to delight in them today!
Author: Sara Hall
Sara Hall is a writer, teacher, volunteer ministry leader, #boymom, and wife of a phenomenal entrepreneur. She is the author of Tasting Dirt: When You’re Disappointed With God. Sara lives to help people overcome the emotional barriers preventing their best relationships with God and other people by vulnerably sharing her own mental health journey and teaching how to apply the Bible to everyday life and relationships.
You can connect with Sara by visiting her blog @EmotionCulture